SAGANet.org - The Astrobiology Social Network
SAGANet.org is a social network and community space co-founded by Sara Walker with some inspiring colleagues from Blue Marble Space. The network was created for individuals interested in astrobiology, space exploration and sustainability, where professional scientists engage the public, both through shared social spaces and targeted mentoring programs.
Visit SAGANet.org to find out more!
Visit SAGANet.org to find out more!
Dr. Walker gave a talk on physics of life at the 2019 Earth-Life Science Institute Symposium at Tokyo Tech on Comparative Emergence (talk starts at approximately 4:50:00 (check out the other great talks too!).
Dr. Walker is featured in a short film discussing the answer to "What is Life?" as part of a series of films on the long term impact of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and provides her thoughts on the impact of the novel.
Dr. Walker participates in a panel discussion on "Who is Out There: Why Alien 'Life' may be Weirder than we Imagine" at the 2018 World Science Festival in New York City.
Dr. Walker participates in a panel on "Possibilities for Non-Terran Life in the Universe" at the 2018 Breakthrough Discuss conference.
Dr. Walker talks about astrobiology and life as a scientist on her favorite social network.
The Science of Consciousness plenary on the "Origin and Evolution of Life" -Dr. Walker's talk starts at ~1:13.
TEDx ASU - Dr. Walker on a "A Universal Theory of Life".
Dr. Sara Walker on looking for life on exoplanets.
Dr. Walker discusses systems-level approaches to biosignatures in exoplanet atmospheres, inspired by complexity science.
Dr. Walker's seminar at the SETI institute on "The Algorithmic Origins of Life".
Dr. Walker leads a plenary session on new approaches to the origins of life, featuring leading scientists Irena Mamajanov, Betul Kacar and Lee Cronin.
Researchers discuss the "power of information" in explaining the physical world.
Dr. Walker participates in a panel on social and conceptual issues in astrobiology.
More Videos! (Links to external sites)
- "Bio from Bit: Quantifying the Origins of Life", Talk at the Waterloo Institute for Complexity & Innovation
- "Statistical Signatures of Life", Keynote at NASA "Exoplanet Biosignatures Workshop without Walls"
- Sara Walker is featured in an episode of "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman", titled “Are We Here for a Reason?”.
- Huffpost Live segment on space exploration, on Huffpost Live
- "The Information Hierarchy, Chemical Evolution and the Emergence of Life", NASA Astrobiology Institute lecture
- "Life Redefined" google hangout discussion on HuffPost Live
- "The Future of Humans in Space", public panel discussion at the Beyond Center, Arizona State University
- "The Algorithmic Origins of Life", colloquium at University of Washington
- "Algorithmic Origins of Life", SETI Institute public lecture
- "How theoretical physicists can help find E.T.", interview with Hanneke Weitering at Space.com
- "Defining Life's Digital Software" interview with Bruce Dorminey on Forbes.com
- "From Soup to Cells: Measuring the Emergence of Life" in Astrobiology Magazine
- Interview with Suzan Mazur and links to coverage of the Princeton Origin of Life Meeting (1, 2)
- HuffPost Live discussion on “Life Redefined”
- Interview with Blue Marble Space Institute of Science and summary of "The Algorithmic Origins of life
Research Press Coverage & Other Press
- "ASU Scientists Study Organization of Life at a Planetary Scale", ASU Now
- "Living Organisms find a Critical Balance" ASU Now
- "Constructing a theory of life", Foundational Questions in Science Institute
- "The 4 biggest milestones in the history of life on Earth", Washington Post
- "3.7-billion-year-old fossils may be the oldest signs of life on Earth", Washington Post
- "Why Physics is not a Discipline", Nautilus Magazine
- "Seeking New Insights into Life's Origin", NASA Astrobiology
- "Meet the 'Dune' Readers: Kim Stanley Robinson and Sara Imari Walker", NPR's Science Friday
- "Dune Discussion Question: Week #2", NPR's Science Friday
- "If the world is a computer, life is an algorithm", Science News Blog post
- "Life began when algorithms took control", Science News Blog post
- "NASA Astrobiology NPP Alumni Series: Sara Walker", NASA Astrobiology Institute
- "The Secret of Life Won't be Cooked Up in a Chemistry Lab", The Guardian
- "New way to look at dawn of life: Focus shifts from 'hardware' to 'software'", Science Daily
- "Mysterious origin of life needs a rethink, scientists argue", NBC News
- "A New Way to Look at the Dawn of Life", NASA Astrobiology Institute
- "Origin Of Life: New Study Spotlights Not Chemistry But How Living Things Store, Process Information", OpEdNews.com
- "The Origins of Life" --Radical New Theory Says Origin is Algorithmic vs Chemical", Daily Galaxy
- "Scientists Offer New Way To Look At The Origins Of Life", RedOrbit
- "An information-processing approach to the origin of life", Kurzweil News
- "Rethink creation of life in terms of information, argues new theory", Sci GoGo
- "ASU researchers propose new way to look at the dawn of life", ASU News
- "Origin of life needs a rethink, scientists argue", CBS News
- "A New Way to Look at the Dawn of Life", Astrobiology Magazine
- "There's No Place Like Home", Nature News & Views